In the midst of the Omicron wave, the FSSS-CSN and the intersyndicale en santé et services sociaux had constructive discussions with the government with the aim of taking concrete action to support staff.
The new measures entered into force on January 16 for a period of 12 weeks. Remember that these measures are not an agreement, but a ministerial order from the government. On the other hand, our interventions have made it possible to influence the government to do more for the staff and we are currently pursuing discussions with the government.
Among the new measures, there is the extension of the full-time bonus. More than 100,000 more workers will have access to the bonus. Please note that we are continuing our efforts to ensure that the bonus applies to all staff.
These new measures show that it is by listening to the solutions proposed by staff and unions that we can better recognize the work of those who have been at the forefront of the pandemic for months. We hope that the government will continue to agree with us to implement solutions to resolve the basic problems of the network and resolve inequities.
The FSSS-CSN presents details on the new government measures. The explanations are presented to you according to the text of Order 2022-003, the employer interpretation guide and the discussions with the MSSS representatives. Note that there are always questions that remain unanswered and that there are always inconsistencies and inequities.
Overtime at double rate and vacation
For full-time staff
- Payment for full shifts at double rate after the regular week*
- In addition, accumulation of a half-day of vacation for each full shift
- Can be used from May 1, 2022 (without deadline), after agreement with the employer as to the time of taking leave
- Can be redeemed from May 1, 2022 at the simple rate (at the employee’s choice)
Rehired retirees and temporary employees (I contribute), are entitled, instead of this measure, to a lump sum equivalent to a half-day of vacation
*For the purposes of eligibility for the calculation of the hours of the normal work week, in addition to regular shifts: vacation, statutory and mobile holidays, internal union leaves, medical leaves related to pregnancy, conversion of evening and night on non-working time, period of isolation at the request of the employer or a public health authority.
For part-time staff
- Payment of full shifts in overtime at the double rate if it is consecutive to his shift (16h), and if:
- In the same week, the employee actually worked in a 24/7 activity center on an evening, night or weekend shift, at the regular rate, in addition to the hours normally scheduled for their position or his temporary assignment*
- Maximum one shift paid at double time per week
* For the application of the hours normally scheduled for the position or assignment, in addition to the regular shifts, is also included: vacation, statutory and floating holidays, internal union leaves, medical leaves related to pregnancy, conversion of premiums evening and night shifts during non-working time, period of isolation at the request of the employer or a public health authority
Additional measure for part-timers
- Lump sum of $100 per week for employees who work at least 30 hours without necessarily reaching the number of hours stipulated in the regular week for their job title
- For all job titles, all backgrounds
- For the purposes of eligibility for calculating the hours of the normal work week, in addition to regular shifts: vacation, statutory and mobile holidays, internal union leaves, medical leaves related to pregnancy, conversion of evening and night on non-working time, period of isolation at the request of the employer or a public health authority
- Reimbursement or payment by the employer of taxi fares
- For all employees
- During an overtime shift
- Between home and work
- No parking fees
- For all employees
- Period from January 16, 2022 to April 10, 2022
- As long as a parking space is available and located on the employer’s property
- The employer offers the meal free of charge, when available, or financial compensation of $15 (at the employee’s choice)
- For all employees
- During a full overtime shift
- With the exception of employees in telework, and those who already qualify for the meal allowance according to the collective agreement
All of the terms and conditions of Order 2022-003 are also applicable to employees of these facilities, insofar as they perform equivalent functions to an employee of the RSSS:
- To private establishments under agreement (EPC)
- To private establishments not under agreement
- At palliative care homes
- At private residences for seniors
- To the intermediate resources of the support program for the autonomy of the elderly
- To religious institutions that maintain a residential and long-term care facility
Full time bonus
- The employee must actually work the number of hours provided for in their job title according to the Nomenclature.
- At the end of eligibility,* the hours actually worked include: vacation, statutory holidays, internal union leaves, conversion of the evening or night premium, isolation related to COVID, floating holidays, medical visits related to pregnancy.
*These absences do not cause loss of eligibility, but the lump sum is paid on a pro rata basis when they occur
- Employees who hold one of the job titles referred to in Orders 2020-035 and 2022-003 (see appendix 1 and 2)
- What is more, employees must work in the environment and the mission that has been designated by the Associate Deputy Minister (designations are sent out each week)
- In addition to CHSLDs, hospitals and youth centres, now CLSCs, CRDIs (including RACs), CRDPs, addiction rehabilitation centres, and prisons are targeted by lump sums, insofar as their job title is also targeted.
- For CHSLDs, all job titles are targeted
- For the grouping of administrative officers, they must be assigned to administrative support within a clinical sector. So it’s not automatic.
- The lump sum of $100 for part-time employees (at least 30 hours, but not full-time), while full-time employees will not benefit from any lump sum (those not covered by the designation of 2020-035)
- Several missing job titles and missing missions for the application of AM 2020-035 as well as certain terms of application. We still claim the application of AM 2020-035 for all job titles and all missions
- We are continuing representations to the MSSS